Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Departmentalized Linky

I just want to start by saying that Linky parties are great!  I love being able to link up to other bloggers and share my ideas, but most importantly read their ideas!  I stumbled upon this linky party by chance and I jumped at the chance to read those that had already participated.

Polka Dot Lesson Plans has created a place for departmentalized teachers to share their ideas, tips, and tricks!  I hope that you take the time to check the others out!!
If you're a reader of my blog, you know that I'm going into my 4th year of teaching.  My first year I taught only Science, and there were three other teachers on my team.  My second year I started teaching 5th grade science, but got displaced due to numbers after a month.  I was moved to a third grade classroom and taught ALL subjects!  Then last year I was moved to 5th grade and taught science and social studies.  This will be my first year not moving, yay!  I will also be working with the same two teachers that I worked with last year!  I can personally say that team teaching has MANY benefits and is what I prefer. :)  Here are some reasons why, plus some ideas that I hope will help you out.

1. I have a TEAM of teachers that I can depend on!  We have each others backs in everything that we do, including parent conferences!  **We meet together with every parent.  We've also sat in one room and put parents on speaker phone to have a phone conference!

2. If Jimmy has a problem in my room and not in Teacher 2's room, then we can discuss what is working there and not here.  We can share ideas and help each other about the SAME group of students.

3. I have a team that I can send a student to if I need to cool down. :)  They know without even asking me what the problem is and why that student is there. :)

4. I feel as a teacher that we can each focus on our subject and truly become "Highly Qualified Teachers!"  I teach Science and Social Studies, so I have two to really look at.  However, two is better than four! :)

Tips?

1. Let the students know that you are team, which I read in another linked up blog! :)

2. Follow the same discipline plan.  I blogged about our conduct book, you can click here to read about it.  Students know that the conduct book travels from class to class, so all of the teachers will know what has happened. We have the same rules and same consequences from day one!

3. Set aside time to plan together.  Every week you should sit down and talk about what is going on in your classrooms, plus other events.  Be aware of days that your partner or partners are going to be absent!

4. Speaking of being absent, things happen and someone is going to have a day off that wasn't planned.  Make sure that you know where to find plans for the day, or even emergency sub plans.  It is suggested that you have at least three days worth of emergency plans.

5. Lastly, spend time away from school together.  It is always nice to sit down and relax with friends. :) Make sure you are making time for that.


6 comments:

  1. Amber, thanks for linking up! I'm always glad to find another upper elementary blogger to follow! I agree about working together as a team for conferences and phone calls! We always do that and it really helps when parents can hear the perspectives of two other teachers as well!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the same way about finding upper elementary blogs. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Amber! I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award, an award for new and up and coming bloggers. I found your blog through TBTS! Check out my blog post for more info!
    http://techknowledgeyteacher.blogspot.com/2013/07/leibster-award.html

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thank you so much! I'm working on my post now!! <3

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you and your team work great together! I think it's wonderful that you all meet with parents as a team. That can be a real drawback for departmentalization for parents at conference time. I found your blog through the Monday Made It linky--I'm your newest follower on Bloglovin'. When you get a chance, I hope you'll stop by my blog. Yesterday I linked up Just Reed for a Ten Pin Linky that focused on science and social studies Pinterest pins.

    Renee J
    Growing a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following. I'm heading over to your blog now! ;)

      Delete

I love Comments!